Summer means spending time outdoors for many families. Picnics, barbeques and baseball games are some of the highlights of the season. While there is a lot of fun to be had for kids, there are also some increased risks of getting an injury. Perhaps one of the most common types of injuries that children experience in the summer is bee stings.
Bee and wasp stings aren’t fun for people of any age. But for children, a sting can be extra unpleasant. Kids can be shocked at how painful a sting from a little bee can actually be! Parents need to be extra vigilant if their child is allergic to bee stings because of the danger of very serious health issues.
When Your Child Gets Stung by a Bee
Children won’t always know how serious a bee sting can be, especially if they’ve never been stung before. Adults should help children to understand how to be safe around bees and what to do if they happen to get stung. Educating children before an incident occurs is the best way to keep them safe and happy this summer. Here are some common questions kids may have about bee stings as well as tips for how to best handle them when they happen.
How do I know if I have a bee sting?
There are a few tell-tale signs that you have been the victim of a bee or wasp sting. Usually, the area stung will get hot and develop a red bump. It may also begin to itch. If you notice any of these symptoms, you should take it seriously. An allergic reaction to a bee sting can have dangerous consequences.
How will I know if I’m allergic to bees?
Typical allergic reactions to bee stings include:
- Difficulty breathing
Do all bees sting?
Male bees do not have stingers so they cannot sting you. If you’ve been stung by a honey bee, then you have been stung by a female bee. Their stingers have unique barbed hooks that anchor the stinger in the skin after a sting. The stinger will get stuck in the skin as the bee flies away. Because of this, honey bees can only sting you once! Other bees and wasps may be able to sting more than once because their stingers do not have this barbed feature.
What should I do if I get a bee sting?
The first thing a child should do if they have been stung by a bee is tell an adult. For a child that is not having an allergic reaction, the sting can be taken care of at home. If you think a reaction is occurring or if the swelling increases, contact the doctor or seek medical attention right away. EpiPens are a common emergency treatment for those who are allergic to bee stings.
- Honey bees will leave their stingers in the skin. The first thing to do is to carefully remove the stinger and wash the area with gentle soap and water.
- Reduce pain and swelling by applying ice directly to the sting.
- Administer a pain reliever or antihistamine if the pain or swelling is severe.
- Apply a baking soda and water mixture to the sting to reduce itchiness.
How can I avoid bee stings?
For the most part, bees don’t mean us any harm. They just want to go about their day buzzing from flower to flower. Bees will usually leave you alone unless they are disturbed. The best thing to do is to leave bees and wasps alone. If you have a large swarm or hive on your property, you should contact a professional live bee removal company to safely remove the bees from the premises. Never attempt to remove the bees on your own – that’s the easiest way to get stung!
- Avoid sweet-smelling lotions or perfumes.
- Don’t wear bright or floral clothing.
- Cover food and soda cans.
- Wear shoes in grassy areas.
San Diego Live Bee Removal – D-Tek Live Bee Removal
No one wants to get stung by a bee or wasp. If you notice that you have a hive on your property, make the call to D-Tek Live Bee Removal right away. Beehives can cause property damage to your home and the potential for nasty bee stings. And when you have children and pets to protect, you need to ensure that the bees are handled by professionals.
For all of your live bee removal, bee removal repair or bee proofing needs in San Diego and San Diego County, contact the team at D-Tek Live Bee Removal for your free quote today.